Basic knowledge of injection mold polishing
1. Mold polishing method and working principle
Mold polishing usually uses oil stone strips, wool wheels, sandpaper, etc., so that the surface of the material is plastically deformed and the surface of the work piece surface is removed to obtain a smooth surface, which is generally operated by hand. The method of super-fine grinding and polishing is required for high surface quality. The super-fine grinding and polishing is made of a special grinding tool. In the polishing liquid containing abrasive, it is pressed against the machined surface to perform high-speed rotary motion. Polishing can achieve a surface roughness of Ra0.008 μm.
2. Common tools and specifications for mold polishing
1) Common tools for mold polishing include: sandpaper, oilstone, felt wheel, abrasive paste, alloy trowel, diamond grinding needle, bamboo, fiber whetstone, round rotary grinding machine.
2) Sandpaper: 150#, 180#, 320#, 400#, 600#, 800#, 1000#, 1200#, 1500#;
3) Oil stone: 120#, 220#, 400#, 600#;
4) Felt wheel: cylindrical, rounded, square tip;
5) Grinding paste: 1# (white) 3# (yellow) 6# (orange) 9# (green) 15# (blue) 25# (brown) 35# (red) 60# (purple);
6) Sickles: square, round, flat, triangular and other shapes;
7) Diamond grinding needle: generally 3/32 shank or 1/8 shank, with round shape, cylindrical shape, long straight column shape, long round cone shape;
8) Bamboo: Each shape is suitable for the operator and the shape of the mold. The function is to press the sandpaper and grind it on the work piece to achieve the required surface roughness.
9) Fiber whetstone: 200# (black) 400# (blue) 600# (white) 800# (red)